Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Australia Zoo: Home of the Crocodile Hunter himself (pt.2)

Only two hours to explore the zoo before our bus would leave us behind was not nearly enough time to fully experience this premises of wonder; I began to run.  Crinkled zoo map in one hand and camera in the other, my Hawaiian shirt tourism came over me in full bloom.  Should we go to see the echidnas? Or maybe skip straight to the Sumatran tiger? My friends and I were so overwhelmed that we didn’t know where exactly to begin. 

“Roo Heaven” just a short three minute walk away was our first settled destination.  Keeping a slow jog, we finally saw the banner high and mighty over a double gate.  After pushing through and entering the forested area, we were surprised to see not a single kangaroo in sight.  It wasn’t until we realized how vast the area was that we knew to walk all the way through to the center.  Once there, kangaroos were all over the place.  You would think that after three months time and many kangaroo encounters it would get old.  Well, you’d think wrong.  Every time I get to go up to a kangaroo and earn their trust to pet it feels like the first.  Along with this came kangaroo feeding and, of course, some kangaroo selfies. 


After a bit of time here, we made our way through the Tiger Temple and African Savannah Exhibit.  This is the only multi species animal exhibit found in Queensland where visitors can observe and learn from the natural interactions between many different species of animals as would be seen in the wild.  Steve Irwin had always wanted to create a place in his zoo where the public could learn the true dynamics of animals when they are given the same biological environment as their original remote and natural habitats.  The day only got better as we next went to the interaction area and were able to hold a koala.  It almost seems necessary that, while traveling to Australia, one must visit a zoo, wait in line, and take a photograph with a koala.  As touristic and not-so-worth-it as it may seem, it was entertaining.  Although it was only for a short amount of time, most people would never have the opportunity to hold a koala unless in a zoo or conservation environment due to their aggressive and temperamental behavior.  It is difficult to imagine such cute and cuddly looking animals to have such an anger streak but it is not worth finding out on your own. 

By this time, my group only had half an hour before we were to meet and depart.  This left us some time to sit and watch the native bird and crocodile so that was just about to begin.  We sat on the boiling plastic bleachers in direct line of the shooting sun since all of the other shady spots were filled.  Nonetheless, we mentally prepared for the sunburns to come as three enthusiastically active zoologists greeted us.  As entertaining as they were teaching the audience about the different native birds, hawks and vultures of the area, it was the family that followed after that left me in tears.  I knew that the Irwin family had great influence over this zoo but was unsure of their involvement. 




To my astonishment, Terri, Bindi and Robert appeared from the gated area underneath the stadium seats to implement their presentation on crocodiles!  Terri, as welcoming as ever, still looked the same as she had when I first saw her in Steve’s television shows, but Bindi was now 15 years old and Robert now 10 years old.  As they took the spotlight, I could not stop seeing the amazing influence of their father on their looks, speech and mannerisms.  Throughout this show, I had been wiping the sticky sweat from my forehead and sides of my face.  Now I touched the areas under my eyes and next to my nose as to wipe the salty tears rather than sweat.  Why was I crying? How come the tears wouldn’t stop rushing down the curves of my face?  I realized the amazing influence Steve Irwin had over the education through a world other than textbooks and essays but rather experience.  The way his legacy will live on is through his children and many Irwin generations to come.  I was left with a feeling of insignificance that I have not done enough for our world but also inspiration to begin leading a more meaningful life of awareness.  The way Steve’s passion has spread across the world like Vegemite on toast is remarkable and gives a sense of hope for a thriving environment of tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment