Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Australia Zoo: Home of the Crocodile Hunter himself (pt.1)


In the past 9 days, I engaged in a trip called One Fish Two Fish through the Extreme Adventures program.  'Extreme' doesn't even give justice to the craziness I experienced during this time.  The next few blog posts will help to describe some of the wild activities I participated in but I would like to start with the first day of the trip and one of the most amazing at that.

Day 1 dedicated the morning to a trip visiting the Australia Zoo.  This is the zoo created and sustained by the Irwin family. Yes, Steve Irwin and his family have created this zoo for pleasure and knowledge seekers with an interest in life of the wild.  As a child, I was convinced that I would marry Steve Irwin. Call me crazy, but he was the perfect person.  His television show was my favorite that consumed most of my childhood.  I was completely in love with his fearless excursions and only prayed to be like him when I got older.  Steve Irwin and his adventures were a core reason that, as a child, I set the goal to live the rest of my life in Australia.  When Terri came into the picture, I knew my chances of marrying him were slim to none seen as her thirst for adventure matched his.  Anyway, the fact that I was finally able to walk the grounds the Irwin family did made this day one of the best thus far on my entire trip.

There was not one section of the entire zoo where you couldn't find a memorial, picture or dedication to Steve Irwin himself.  Everywhere I looked I could find his inspiring face of enthusiasm.  Steve Irwin's death was a tragedy and huge loss for not only the Australian world of wildlife awareness but for the world as a whole.  

On September 4th of 2006, Steve was exploring and snorkeling in shallow waters of the Great Barrier Reef. He was shooting a new documentary of some of the ocean's deadliest creatures.  Fitting his normal character, Steve pressed his luck with the creatures he was finding, trying to get ‘up close and personal’ in the process. A stingray said to be about 8 feet in diameter became defensive as Steve entered his personal space.  In little to no time, the stingray reacted and began to repeatedly strike Steve with his tail spine.  What he believed was a punctured lung soon turned into a pierced heart.  Although many efforts of CPR and wound compression were taken, it was at a loss.  Steve Irwin was known for his remarkable passion for knowledge and dedication to conserving the environment.  This zoo is an incredible chance for his legacy to live on forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment