Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Routine Out of the Ordinary (pt 2)


My wide awake habits have died down since then but have still formed a new routine.  I normally wake up around 9 am, brush my teeth and make myself some tea.  I was never a  breakfast person but every now and again some yogurt and fruit or cereal help to start my day.  Next, I catch up on readings.  If there is one thing I have learned by studying Arts classes here it is that reading will consume all of your free time if you let it.  Just when you think you've read all of the readings for one class on a given week, you can double check an extra email to find further readings or suggested readings for discussion.  I applaud any students here who are actually able to finish all of their readings in advance for the week.  I often find myself falling behind or having to read last minute before class because of my turtle speed of reading.

After reading, I usually have a class to attend in which I get out of bed again, get dressed and pack my bag.  I have a few friends from Loyola taking the same classes here with me so we meet to walk onto campus.  From class I usually stay to do some work or head back to my room depending on the time.  At this point it is either time for the gym or dinner time.  For dinner, this routine is relatively strict.  As I find myself on the average college kid special, money isn't used as much on food as other things.  For me, I would rather save my money for trips and souvenirs.  So, one, if not two, of my meals every day is dedicated to the wonderfully versatile and gluten-free friendly rice.  Long grain rice, Jasmine rice, brown rice, you name it.  Buying rice by the bulk is super affordable and fits into my diet perfectly.  I also add different beans and peas to switch it up from one meal to another.  At a whopping 80¢ a can, these chick peas and four bean combos have saved my protein deficient lifestyle.

After either some more light reading, procrastinating with some floor mates or a few television shows courtesy of the sacred Netflix, it is time for bed.  My last bit of routine I follow is my sleep therapy.  Many friends have laughed at my idea of a good start to sleep but I have created a radio genre on my Pandora account for my Brazilian music.  João Gilberto has won my heart over when it is time to relax.  His form of Brazilian music with a twist of guitar helps to put my mind in the perfect state for sleep.  I highly recommend for anyone who falls asleep to music as part of their nightly routine to try it and thank me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment