Sunday, May 4, 2014

Me, Myself & I

As I have grown as a person on my trip, I wanted to take a minute to reflect on what I have noticed about my personality and character or how Australia has changed me.  Here are a few things I have learned about myself:


  1. Night owl.  I would never even think to consider myself a morning person in the states and if someone asked me to voluntarily wake up before 11 in the morning, I would probably laugh at them.  Any procrastinated projects or assignments saved for the last minute would always be finished at night, even if it took until 5 in the morning if it meant I could sleep later.  I'd never tell myself to wake up before class to finish a project knowing I wouldn't be able to wake up.  Here, I have done a complete 180 and now wake up early.  I look forward to my morning tea or instant coffee and do not mind waking up a few hours before my class actually starts.  My old self would wake up 15 minutes before class, roll out of bed and walk to campus.  Here, I find myself with more than enough time to relax and take my time before class rather than rushing everywhere.
  2. Food.  I miss my food.  By my food, I mean the availability and options I have become accustomed to at home in the states.  Having found out I have developed a gluten allergy within the past year, adjusting to a new diet has been extremely challenging.  As prices seem so much higher for food here in Australia, I shy away from buying cereals I would normally buy or deli foods that I would find in my fridge at home.  As much as I love rice and chick peas, it has become very difficult to eat the combination two times a day everyday.  I look forward to a refrigerator full of food when I return home.
  3. Organization.  My bedroom at home is often covered with so much clothing that I have to dig my way through to see my rug.  At Loyola, my dorm room is a lot neater but this is only because I throw all of the clothing that would normally be found scattered on the ground into my closet and close the door, hoping some kind of closet monster will magically clean and fold it for me.  Here in Australia, I tidy up my room every single day.  It has begun to bother me when I find a sock on the ground missing its pair or a pen or notebook is out of place on my desk.  Hopefully this is a sign I am maturing and becoming a more organized person rather than developing OCD but I guess only time will tell.
  4. Outgoing.  I have always thought that I was a relatively outgoing person but here it has been brought out even more than ever.  I am pleased with the way I have forced myself into what would seem as awkward situations but have come out of it with new friends.  Orientation week here at Monash offered many different activities, most of which people would view as corny or silly. But when you actually participate and let yourself have a good time, it is so easy to break out of your shell and enjoy things you normally wouldn't imagine you would.

No comments:

Post a Comment