Friday, May 2, 2014

Aussie Lingo

I have been astonished as to how confused I get in conversation when speaking to an Aussie even though they are speaking in English.  I do not want to force a stereotype onto Australians but most that I have met here speak at lightening speed.  I thought I spoke quickly but because of their slurring accents, I find myself nodding and smiling in replacement of a spoken reply.  I always wanted to have an Australian accent and thought I would be able to travel back home to the states with me.  It is safe to say I have one of the worst Australian accents ever attempted. Every accentuated word turns into a British accent (which sounds extremely different when put next to each other).   

Not only has the accent left me in looping circles but also the actual jargon Australians use is quite unique.  There are infinite phrases and words I have learned that many use in every day life.  Some words are similar to those in the states but are used much more frequently while others are completely left field.  I have tried to apply some of them to conversations and cannot help but laugh… I cannot pull them off like an Aussie can. 


I have decided to keep a list that will grow for the rest of my stay here of words and phrases either frequently used here or ones that have grabbed my attention:

  • Mate
    • Referring to a close friend
    • One of the most stereotyped word of an Australian which I believed would be outdated or just irrelevant to this generation; quite the opposite, I hear this word multiple times a day
    • "This is my best mate right here" or "Have you met my mate Alex?"
  • Reckon'
    • Although we see this word used in some of the more southern states in the US, it is an everyday word used in almost all conversations I've had.
    • "I reckon it'll rain again today"
  • Heaps
    • This is is used whenever Aussies want to describe 'a lot' of something, also used more than once a day
    • I have actually found myself using this one
    • "Sure you can borrow some, I have heaps of it"
  • Afternoon tea or tea time
    • This is a meal, either in afternoon or night
    • It confused me most in the beginning as I thought they were referring to the actual tea you drink.  Rather it is a meal or snack.
    • "Did you have tea yet? I was going to make sandwiches if you'd like one"
  • Paddywagon
    • This describes a police or cop car
    • Even though this is not so frequent, it still made me laugh when it came up
    • "I was locked up in the back of their paddywagon after I tried to run from the police"
  • Good on ya
    • Helps to say 'nice' or 'good for you' in a none sarcastic way
    • I have tried to pull this one off but failed... it seems like this is one only true Aussies can pull off

No comments:

Post a Comment